Duration Based Conceptual Performance Artist
Make a fairy table, like the one in the photograph above.
All you need along with masses of imagination, cardboard and masking tape, scissors and acrylic paint. I have tried to show you how to make something so fab, cool and easy to make.
1) measure out the size of your table top. Cut out your basic shape.
2) cut out the base of the table, two long strips and two short strips.
3) start taping the corners of the table base together demonstrated in the photographs above.
4) Tape the base and the the table top together, as demonstrated in photographs above.
5) Paint your table with acrylic, again please do not add water as you are using masking tape. I have kept my colours simple grey and black, but you can be really creative with colours.
6) Cut six long strips and six short strips of cardboard. Don't worry about the size of your seat as this will be cut into shape later. Tape the base of the seat to the back as shown in the photograph.
7) Use as much tape as you need to make the base secure. Now cut the top of the seat into whatever shape you want, you can repeat this with the other five chairs.
8) Now all your chairs are ready, for the seat base, cut a small piece of carboard and tape it to the seat base. then use your tape to secure it.
9) Now the chairs are ready to paint with any colour. As you can see from the above photographs I have had a lot of fun creating different shapes and using bright colours.
10) Now the fun bit to dress the table. I have a button box I can rake around in and find buttons to make into plates, and other bits and pieces I can set the table with, even a small thimble as a cup.
11) As you can see from the photographs you can be as creative as possible, keep in mind, which fairies are coming to tea?
12) A wizard and a rabbit popped in to test the table for the fairies. What do you think?
And now you are ready to invite your special guests. Remember I have created this out of cardboard, using masking tape and acrylic paint. What will you make next?
Spike Mclarrity is a duration based conceptual performance artist.