In this blog we will look at what you can make with very little material or skill but lots of imagination!
In every house there is normally a box, bag, drawer or cupboard that is full of interesting objects, bits and pieces that no one uses any more. It is in these places that you might find things to make something from. I have a bag of old wooden cutlery, straws , old material, acrylic paints and masking tape. My aim today is to make a bed, a chair and a fairy!
1) I have decided to make a fairy, so I am using an old wooden spoon and fork. As you can see with the above photographs I have split the fork in half just using my fingers, the marked out how to use them for hands and arms.
2) Using masking tape I have joined both ends of the fork together. Take a an old piece of material cut it to size.
3) Tape the arms to the body, use as much tape so it feels strong. Then take your material and fold, cut a small hole so you can slip the head through. Fold in material and tie with some string.
4) take felt pen and draw your fairies face and hair.
5) let make your fairy a bed to sleep in. I have taken some of the broken wooden forks and taped them together, then I cut the ends to make them straight.
6) if you have an old straw, cut into four small pieces, then use your masking tape to start taping the legs to the bed.
7) Once you have all your masking tape on, take your nail and score it, as this will help it to stick to the wood. Take your scissors and cut along the bed ends to prepare them for the head board.
8) Though I am using discarded wooden cutlery, you can use old lolly pop sticks! Take three pieces to create your headboard. Then tape them together, Repeat this again for the foot board.
9) I am gong to paint my bed red, remember do not dilute with water, as this will loosen up the gum on the tape, keep the acrylic as dry as possible. You will find that you won't need a lot.
10) You can paint your pillow and also paint some patterns on the bed cover, also you can paint the legs.
11) Lets now make a chair! Cut up your bits of wood or lollipop sticks, then tape them together as demonstrated in the photographs. Like the bed you can make legs out of straws, which you tape them to the base.
12) You will find masking tape is very easy to work with as you can tear bits off, to stick to the straw and the base until you feel happy with the strength of the chair. Now it is ready for you paint the chair of any colour that appeals to you.
Now you have your fairy bed and chair, and yes the fairy herself. As you can see I have played around with the colours. Remember there is no glue, just masking tape and little bits and pieces. Have fun..What will you make next?
Spike Mclarrity is a duration based conceptual performance artist.